Description

A Magic: the Gathering blog by and for the janky combo casual players alienated in a world of netdecking millionaires.

I value inexpensive (kinda) decks outside of the meta because I am cheap and easily bored.


If you are suitably entertained, stoke my insatiable need for attention and compliments via the +1 button

Monday, March 3, 2014

Magic: The Mathering - Troll's End

Cliff did a bang up job on the art if nothing else.

And the Garfield award for "worst mythic rare ever" goes to...

Actually, if can stop you there, Maze's end haters. I think that Archangel's light is worse, but that like, that's just my opinion man.

Game Day was this Saturday and I thought I'd give the old Maze a run. Mostly because I tested it online and Azorious has nothing in the way of anything to deal with it pre board and pithing needles post board and I thought my local meta would struggle.

So I had it all set up, apart from only owning 1 supreme verdict and 1 detention sphere I thought I'd mix it up a little and run 3 copies of Slaughter Games and some spot removal instead.

Play online, cast this choosing... Elspeth Sun's champion. Opponent concedes.

20 gates, two of each flavour, 4 Maze's end, two Overgrown tombs.

16 Fog effects















2 Kiora the Crashing wave.

All three effects are beneficial to this deck. Mini fog, drawing and playing extra land and a 9/9 Kraken every turn.

Three Far // Away along with one detention sphere, one supreme verdict, two abrupt decay and the slaughter games. Card draw was two urban evolution and the underrated in a mostly sorcery/instant deck, uncovered clues.

Worthy of mention, digs deeper than divination and can often find two fog effects to save your worthless Johnny, combo player smug troll face. Divination for two and pulling two guildgates is not what you are looking for.


As for the games themselves, most are too painful to remember.

Match 1 I won 2-0, against a player who was just getting back into the game. I felt awful watching her swing for lethal no fewer than three times only to have all damage prevented while I put down gate after gate and win the game without so much as attacking.

Match 2: Fuck you mono black and fuck you pack rat. That is all. I was 1 turn away in both games, first time was activating the maze, second time was with crackling perimeter out of the side board. Slaughter Games resolved and I took out 4 Grey Merchants though. That was pleasing.

Match 3: Fuck you mono black and fuck you pack rat. That is still all. I had a couple of chances in this game let down by terrible card draw and something I hadn't considered, mill is really low on the meta but Ashiok was a problem. He milled two of the same guildgate and both abrupt decays, then played pithing needle and chose crackling perimeter (which was in the sideboard)

Match 4: I didn't mind losing. It was against another guy who was just getting back into magic after a long break and he was running an honest Boros aggro deck. Play a haste creature turn three and attack into battalion early. I ran a similar deck at my previous standard event. Much respect in a world of devotion and control. Massive mana screw in game two though. That was quite annoying, kept a 3 land hand of two gates and a maze's end, an urban evolution, kiora and 2 fog effects. I held on for NINE TURNS. Didn't pull another land all game.

The fact he was playing my useless arse in game four was perhaps more telling of how he did. But hey, it's tough to play aggro these days.

So I think with the recommended board wipes and d. sphere's instead on some of the tat like Far / Away I'd have done much better. Need an answer to pack rat in the main deck other than one d. sphere and one verdict though.

Fuck you pack rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment